Remember our 3 key points to success in business and life?
- Knowing that success is a journey.
- Fear will hold you back, but faith will keep you going.
- Purposeful action is essential.
Last week I told you that there are 10 questions you need to ask yourself when starting your own business and we looked at the first question-Why do I want to start my own business?
Hopefully you have asked yourself this question and have an answer, if not a few! There is no right or wrong answer and there can be as many reasons as you like, as long as you know the answer. Answering these questions before you up and leave your job will help guide you towards the 3 key points for success.
Our second question is this:
Do I have what it takes to run a business?
Ask yourself, what does it really take to run a business and do I have it?
Who you are as a person has a huge effect on the success of your business, I believe that to get the best from yourself and your business, you need the following:
- Organisation-A successful business needs structure. Diaries, calendars, post-it notes, however you keep your business in order doesn’t matter, just as long as you do. An unorganised business is doomed from the start.
- Tenacity-You need to be able to keep at it. Remember our key point number 2? Fear will hold you back but faith will keep you going. Things will not always be as plain sailing as you would like but you need the tenacity to be able to hold on and keep going.
- Courage-This is an important part of any successful business. You will eventually come to a fork in the road along your journey (probably more than once) and will need to have the courage to make a decision on how you want to proceed. Things will get scary at some point but having the courage to continue is necessary.
- Help-Admitting when you need help can be hard, the business is your baby and sometimes we can want to do everything ourselves. Whilst this may work for a while, it is not sustainable. You need to be able to ask for help when you need it in order to progress the business. Many business’s fail because of peoples pride.
So, over the course of this week, ask yourself if these are the qualities you have as a person. You may not have all of these personality traits naturally, but remember that they are all things that we can learn to be.
Next week we will look at our 3rd question- What fears do I have about owning a business?